Thursday, January 3, 2008

Currently Reading
Just Jane: A Novel of Jane Austens Life
By Nancy Moser


"Unable to find her own Mr. Darcy, she created him."  Sad! This quote is taken from the back cover of the above noted book.

My sis-in-law gave me this book for my birthday.  It is a novel based on the life of Jane Austen.  Mel said she had a hard time putting it down once she started reading it. It looks like the perfect book to read on the plane ride back to school.  I can imagine that I'll be able to finish it during the semester, but that is probably wishful thinking.  I was surprised how busy classes and study kept me this last semester.  Crazy!  But good.   We did so much reading that when I was ready for some down time, a book was one of the last things I thought of.  Just hanging with friends or a good doesn't-require-me-to-use-my-brain movie were the best relaxers.

Speaking of relaxing, this break at home has been perfect.  When I first got home it seemed like four weeks was NOT going to be enough time at all, but the days have drifted by quite nicely.  I'm afraid my good intentions of getting ahead on some reading for next semester have been just that: good intentions.  Last night I was ashamed to realize that it had been three days since I last read my Bible.  My first reaction was guilt, and then I realized that I was only hurting myself.  God does not value me based on how much I read my Bible or how "good" I am.  Bible study is for my own benefit.  It is only through reading God's word that I will draw closer to Him and become more like His son through the renewing of my mind.  How will I come to know God better if I do not spend time with Him?  Time.  It takes a conscious effort on my part.  I sincerely hope to have a part-time job when I get back to school with the main purpose of building relationships with unbelievers.  Neglecting my time with the Lord is certainly NOT going to help me in being a light to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment