Monday, October 29, 2007

Eustis the heater gnome

The weather has turned cold enough for the school to start using the heaters in the morning. Every morning around 6:00 they turn on the boilers down in the basement and the steam begins to rise up to all the radiators. And that's when the fun begins.

tap....tap.......tap....

We have little gnomes that live in the radiators. The rising steam is their signal to get to work. And work they do. They pull out their little hammers and begin tapping on the pipes. It starts of rather quietly. tap.....tap..... Unfortunately, they are rather eager in their duties and the tapping very quickly increases to a resounding pounding. BANG! BANG! BANG! It's amazing how loud it can get! I'm just thankful they don't turn on the heat any earlier that 6:00am. I'm guessing it is something I'll get used to with time (maybe). That being said, I completely sleep through the racket Saturday morning. It doesn't bother me too much, but it makes some people down right MAD.

My roomies and I have named the gnome in our bedroom radiator Eustis. I won't be surprised if he gets yelled at a time or two at some point this winter. One of the girls here has even admitted to getting out of bed and actually kicking the radiator when the banging gets so loud. I asked her if it hurt, and she said a little, but she felt better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment