Sunday, March 30, 2008

Surprise!

The surprise was a complete success.  I flew home for spring break unbeknownst to my family.  (Mark was the only one who was in-the-know.)  I had plane troubles in Denver and had to hang around for an extra five hours.  I wasn't sure if Mom and Dad would still be awake by the time I made it home (dear friend Michelle had kindly agreed to pick me up from the airport), but there was no need for worry.  Mark to the rescue!  When he found out I was stuck in Denver, he called up the folks: "How about watching 'The Two Towers' tonight?"  Perfect.  They were all wrapped up in the movie when I quietly walked in the front door.  Even Peter had gotten off work earlier than usual that night, so the whole family was there.  I was standing just off to the side of Dad's recliner when he noticed I was there.  He stared at me blankly for a moment, and then his mouth dropped open.  Their reactions were perfect.  "What are you doing here?!"  And hugs all around. 

It is nice to be home for a bit, especially since I don't know how much I'll be home this summer.  I have applied to work at a camp in Mississippi (bring on the humidity and friendly southern mosquitoes), so it will depend on how long they need me, etc.  I have also asked to consider being a student leader at school next year, and they will be having a training retreat for all of us a week or so before school starts, so I'll have to be back there early for that too.  But it's all right.  I am excited for these new opportunities and for all that I will be learning.  

And, yes.  I am loving this weather.  I didn't realize how much I missed GREEN until I looked out my window Saturday morning.  Wow!!  There are LEAVES on the trees!!  Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment