Saturday, March 8, 2008

More room for growth

Our current block of classes is deliciously light on homework.  Only two classes - Anthropology & Hamartiology (man and sin), and two hours of Life of Christ.  Yesterday in Man & Sin we had a really interesting discussion about where/how we receive the immaterial aspects of our being (soul, spirit, personality, etc.)  Do they come from our parents?  It is obvious that there are traits of our personality that come from our parents, but what about our soul?  I also used to think that when a baby is conceived God gives them a soul at that time.  The soul is spiritual and uniquely our own.  Of course it doesn't come from the parents.  (Again, my own original thought process.)  But if this is the case, how does the sin nature come into play?  If our soul comes from God, does that mean He gives us a corrupt soul?  That's doesn't seem to make sense.  The Bible tells us that the sin nature is passed down through the father, so do we somehow receive our soul and spirit from our parents right along with our 46 chromosomes?  Like I said, it was an interesting discussion.

But all that is just a side note.  Acts will be one of the classes for our remaining two blocks, so I am reading ahead, in a sense, for my devotions.  This morning I was reading the story of Peter's miraculous release from prison:

(The notes added in italics are my own commentary, if you will.)

"So Peter was kept in prison, but prayer was being made fervently by the church of God...And when Peter realized [he had been rescued], he went to the house of Mary...where many were gathered together and were praying.  And when [Rhoda] recognized Peter's voice...ran in and announced that Peter (for whom they were fervently praying) was standing in front of the gate.  And they said to her, 'You are out of your mind!'  (Paraphrased: "You're crazy!  Why would Peter be here?  Afterall, we are praying to the all-powerful God of heaven and earth for his deliverance.  What makes you think Peter would actually be here??"  Hmmm...something doesn't seem to line up here.)  ...And when they opened the door and saw [Peter], they were amazed."  Acts 12:5, 12-16

You mean God really does answer our most "impossible" prayers?  And why wouldn't He.  Too often I am just like these early Christians.  I find myself amazed when God responds positively to my prayers.  Since coming back to NTBI after Christmas break, my growing knowledge and understanding of God keeps making Him bigger and bigger, but I am still trapped in a finite mind.  I often find myself relating to the father of the demon possessed boy in Mark 9:

Lord, I do believe.  Please help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment