Saturday, October 10, 2015

When missions looks like nail polish, crafting, and caramel corn

Wait...what?  What in the world does nail polish, crafting, and caramel corn have to do with missions?

I'm glad you asked.  :)

At New Tribes Bible Institute (NTBI) I have the privilege of being a part of the beginning stage of missions. The purpose of NTBI is to establish believers in the foundational truths of the Bible with an emphasis on church planting among people groups without the Gospel. Life here doesn't necessarily look like "missions," and sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. One thing the Lord has been impressing on me lately is the importance of living intentionally. If the goal of NTBI is to train more missionaries, are the choices I make and the ways in which I engage the students helping to accomplish this goal? We want the students to make the most of their time here, to be fully engaged in their classes, diligent with their homework, and growing in their walk with the Lord.


These are my dorm daughters. Nine ladies who have dedicated two years of their life to studying God's word and His heart for missions. They recently came over to my house for an evening of crafting, laughter, and a break from homework.

Remember that question about nail polish, crafting, and caramel corn? Every interaction with the students is an opportunity to establish and deepen friendships. As friendships deepen, doors are opened for deeper discipleship. And as discipleship happens, I trust God is using me to help prepare and equip these students to become disciple-makers themselves.

Have you ever made caramel corn in a paper bag? In the microwave? It's wonderfully easy and oh, so good. Ask me for the recipe!
It all started with nail polish and a blank canvas.  I mean mug.
Fill a dish with distilled water, drizzle in some nail polish of your choice...
Carefully roll your mug along the surface...

...and voila!



I suggested moving into the living room where we could sit more comfortably, but the girls were perfectly content to just plop themselves on the floor.






No comments:

Post a Comment